Trail Markers

image9

The Original Six

 In 1932, John and Winifred Davidson, curators of the Serra Museum,  working with George Marston, the local Portuguese community, architect  Richard Requa, the San Diego Historical Society, the San Diego  Federation of Women's Clubs and local garden clubs, made the decision to  place 6 concrete markers commemorating the Old La Playa Trail between  La Playa and the Mission.

The markers, featuring an ox cart and Indian, were designed by Old  Town sculptor, Rose Hanks.  During the next year, 6 markers were placed:

Roseville Marker

 At the site of the 1869 Roseville Hotel at Byron and Rosecrans

Loma Portal Site

  At the intersection of Rosecrans and Lytton Streets 

Presidio Marker

 At the foot of Presidio Hill 

San Diego Mission

 At Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala, the first of the 21 great California missions 

Midways Area

 At Midway and Rosecrans 


 

Status of the Markers

Three of the La Playa Trail markers have been refurbished, and two have been lost. Two new markers have been dedicated:

  • New Roseville Marker - at Rosecrans and Avenida de Portugal
  • Chinese Fishermen's Marker - At north end of La Playa Cove on Talbot Street

Trail Markers

Roseville Marker

image10

Location

At the site of the 1869 Roseville Hotel, at Byron and Rosecrans, Pt. Loma


Significance

The site of the first American house on Point Loma.  Built by Louis  Rose, the founder of  the Roseville subdivision in Point Loma.


Status of the Marker

The original marker has been lost.


The First La Playa Trail Marker

The dedication of the first marker began at Point Loma Assembly on  Talbot Street on Jan. 10, 1934, and then moved to the west side of  Rosecrans Street between Addison Street (now Avenida de Portugal) and  Byron Street, where the concrete marker (in which had been sealed a time  capsule) was celebrated.

A new marker was dedicated on the East side of Rosecrans , near the  intersection of Avenida de Portugal, on April 29, 2010 by La Playa Trail  Association.  It, too, contains a time capsule.

Loma Portal Site

image11

 Location

Southwest corner of Rosecrans & Lytton Streets


Status of the Marker

The marker has been lost.


The Second Monument for the
  La Playa Trail

The second monument was dedicated on Jan. 27, 1934, on the southwest corner of Lytton Street. Lytton was the "Old Rock Trail", leading from Old Town to the ocean. 

Presidio Marker

image12

 Location

Taylor Street at the foot of Presidio Hill


Significance

The site of the first permanent European settlement on the Pacific  Coast, El Presidio Real de San Diego (Royal Presidio of San Diego), was a   fort established on May 14, 1769 by Commandant Pedro Fages for Spain,  and the site of the 1st mission in California founded by Fr. Junipero  Serra.


Status of the Marker

The marker is still standing, and has been refurbished by the Daughters of the American Revolution.


La Playa Trail's
  Third Historical Marker

The third marker was dedicated on Feb. 16. 1934 by the San Diego  Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution,  and is dedicated  to Jedediah Smith, who is credited with blazing the first trail from the  Rocky Mountains to Southern California.

La Playa Site

image13

 Location

The South side of the Naval Fuel Station's Sentry gate, Naval Base, Point Loma, at the south end of Rosecrans Street.


Significance

The La Playa Marker honors
  Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo.


Status of the Marker

The marker still stands, and has been refurbished by the United States Navy.


La Playa Trail's
  Fourth Historical Marker

The fourth La Playa Trail Marker honoring the Explorer Juan Rodriguez  Cabrillo was dedicated at 3 O'Clock on Saturday afternoon March 10,  1934.

San Diego Mission Site

image14

 Location

San Diego Mission
10818 San Diego Mission Road
San Diego, CA  92124
West side of visitor's parking lot


Significance

Originally established in 1769 on Presidio Hill, the mission moved to  it's present location in 1774, the first of the chain of 21 California  missions, founded by Fr. Junipero Serra.


Status of the Marker

The marker is still standing, and was refurbished by Boy Scout Troup 508.La 


Playa Trail's
  Fifth Historical Marker

The 5th La Playa Trail marker was dedicated on June 10, 1934, at the  Mission San Diego, and was sponsored  by the San Diego Historical  Society and  the Catholic Daughters of America.

Midway Marker

image15

 Location

Rosecrans Street Median,
Southwest of the Midway intersection.


Status of the Marker

The original 1934 marker was refurbished by La Playa Trail Association and the North Bay Association in 2006.

It has been moved to  the East side of Rosecrans Street near Midway.


La Playa Trail's
  Sixth Historical Marker

The sixth and last of the original monuments was dedicated on Sept.  28, 1934, near the corner of Rosecrans and Midway.  It marked the 392nd  Anniversary of the landing of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542..